- Birth is safe.
- Women's bodies are perfectly designed for birth.
- All women have the strength within themselves to give birth naturally.
- If a woman is properly supported and prepared she can give birth without any medical assistance in the vast majority of cases (80% of all women according to Marsden Wagner MD).
- Therefore birth needn’t be treated as a medical event in the vast majority of cases.
- Informed refusal is as valid as informed consent.
- There are rare occasions when medical interventions are necessary.
- Independent midwives are the medical experts on normal physiological birth and its variants, obstetricians are the medical experts on surgical deliveries. They have different approaches to identifying and remedying complications in pregnancy and birth. It is up to each woman to find out about the two models of care and decide which will meet her needs best, or whether she would prefer to take responsibility for her own care.
- Women, though they may not necessarily be medical experts, are the experts of their own bodies.
- Birth is a sacred rite of passage for the entire family and should be honoured as such.
- The labouring woman is the boss! She should have complete control over who attends her birth and how they serve her during that time.
- It is a great honour for anyone to be welcomed into a woman's birth space.
- The focus of those attending a birthing woman should be on her experience, not on their own (past or present).
What Is Birth?
Childbirth - Your Options
The Services I Offer
My Birth Photography