I first became aware of the option of creating your own placenta essence thanks to a friend who found the information online and shared it on the Joyous Birth forums. I believe the info she found originally came from this site, and was created by a Canadian named Ril Giles.
As someone who who uses flower essences in daily life, the idea of making my own placenta essence appealed to me. I tweaked the original recipe because as a lotus birther I only wished to use a small portion of placenta to create my essence (and also because my use of flower essences has left me with a preference for brandy as a preserving agent, rather than vodka).
- Piece of freshly born placenta (or whole placenta if you wish)
- Jar that the placenta can fit into
- Distilled water
- Small dropper bottle
- Drinking water
- Cut a piece from your placenta, place in jar
- Cover the piece completely with distilled water
- Place the jar in the sun for 4 hours somewhere where it will not be disturbed (make sure it receives sunlight for the whole 4 hours)
- Remove the placenta piece from the jar
- Add enough brandy so that the contents of your jar are half placenta water and half brandy
Small piece of placenta in distilled water getting sunlight outdoors
After 4 hours the brandy is added
Mother tincture, the following week
- Fill half of your small dropper bottle with brandy
- Fill remaining half of dropper bottle with regular water
- Add 7 drops of the placenta water/mother tincture to the dropper bottle
Placenta Disposal Suggestions
The practice of non-severance, to give your family a smooth transition into the world of new baby. Some women feel this makes other uses of the placenta impossible, but other women feel comfortable giving their babies lotus births, and removing some of the placenta to use for their own healing.
Special thanks to my partner for making this placenta essence and for taking photographs of the process for me, while I was in bed enjoying learning to feed my new baby.